We are continuing our month-long “Back to School–Back to Basics” series and this week we’ll be going over the seven Love Kindlers. To understand what a Love Kindler is, you could read the Basic Concepts article to get a more indepth explanation. Briefly, to help you envision the idea, think of your marriage like a campfire. There are actions that can quench the fire of love, and those actions are Love Extinguishers. BUT there are also actions that stoke the fire of love and make it hotter–those are Love Kindlers. When you make the decision to love, you choose to act in a way that is likely to kindle feelings of interest and passion; so you decide to act in a Love Kindling way.
Today the third Love Kindler to stoke the blaze of passion and love in your marriage today is: Social Commitment! Social Commitment is meeting your spouse’s social needs, such as:
- Including your spouse in your social activities
- Encouraging your spouse’s social life
- Sharing fun recreational activities together
- Sharing joy and laughter
- Publicly expressing affection
- Spending free time with each other
- Offering personal free time
- Being your companion
- Engaging in conversation about topics you find interesting
- Expressing interest and caring by listening well
Over this month, we will be going “Back to School” by going over all our Basic Concepts. This week we will examine the Love Kindlers–next week the Love Extinguishers. During the third week of September we’ll look at the Seven Steps to End an Affair, and for the last week of the month, we’ll review the Seven Steps to Rebuilding After an Affair. We hope you’ll join us on this journey to get “Back to the Basics”!!