How do you help your kids when your spouse is having an affair? What is the ideal? What do kids need? What are some common pitfalls that parents make? And how can God heal broken hearts–yours and theirs?
In this week’s episode, we continue our series “Helping Your Kids Survive an Affair” by examining examining some common pitfalls that parents make when their is a major crisis in the family. There are nine common mistakes that parents make when their children are struggling, and we go over each downfall to identify the error and make more healthy suggestions.
- Leaning on your children as if they were peers.
- Loyal Spouse: Speaking badly of the other parent.
- Disloyal Spouse: Thinking your kids “will be happy for you”
- Not allowing your kids to express their feelings.
- Not keeping your word–lying to them so they aren’t hurt.
- Spoiling your child to “make up for it”
- Not taking time for touch.
- Setting unrealistic expectations.
- Failing to pray for your children
If you’d like to learn more about “Helping Your Kids Survive an Affair,” join us next week when we’ll be discussing how God can heal broken hearts.[audio: https://s3.amazonaws.com/affaircare-podcast/Help+Kids+3-Common+Pitfalls.mp3]